Home > WPMU Ldap Auth Plugin > WPMU Ldap Plugin 2.6 Released!

WPMU Ldap Plugin 2.6 Released!

In conjunction with the new WPMU release and release numbering, i’m proud to announce the release of the WPMU Ldap 2.6 plugin!  This release does require WPMU 2.6 due to the utilization of some new hooks.

Download it now!

Important Upgrade Notice! – If you are upgrading from the previous 1.3 versions that did not have support for local user creation, its important that after the upgrade you login as the local administrator, and with the "Fix Ldap Meta" option on the plugin configuration page.  This will populate the ldap_login meta value for all accounts (except the local admin) so that existing users are able to login.

Changes:

• Removed ugly hacks for the retrieve password form utilizing a new filter in the trunk.
  • Freshened up the look of the admin pages

As always, continue to visit the SourceForge project page for details, and to report bugs or add feature requests!

Categories: WPMU Ldap Auth Plugin Tags:
  1. August 4th, 2008 at 23:31 | #1

It would be great to be able to allow blog creation based on groups. We want teachers to be able to have blogs but only allow students the ablility to contribute. Having the ablility to set groups for these would be awesome. Anyway, keep up the good work.

2. Aaron
    August 5th, 2008 at 04:10 | #2

Phillip is going to take a look at adding his group based auth code to the current trunk. Once that’s in place, we’ll see whats possible. The best bet for now its to make sure its added in SF to the feature request

3. Mark
    August 7th, 2008 at 19:48 | #3

Great work thanks!!!!!

Now I can upgrade as I could not get the 1.5 version to use the LDAP had to back up to version 1.3 on this new install of 2.6 the plugin is really appreciated. I second the motion above for group level authentication.

4. August 7th, 2008 at 21:20 | #4

I just tried to install this as SITE admin on wordpressMu 2.6, and… got this error…

Plugin could not be activated because it triggered a fatal error.

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare wp_new_user_notification() (previously declared in /apps/wpmu/wp-includes/pluggable.php:1008) in /apps/wpmu/wp-content/plugins/ldap/lib/wpmu_ldap_admin.functions.php on line 414

Any ideas?

5. Helpful Harry
    August 8th, 2008 at 15:24 | #5

Contents removed by admin – invalid

I hope this helps Duran! Best of luck!!

6. duran
    August 8th, 2008 at 15:25 | #6

Harry, thanks for responding.
    I made an idiot mistake and put this in the global plugins directory, not in the mu-plugins directory.

I think I got it working now!
    Thanks.

7. Aaron
    August 8th, 2008 at 15:28 | #7

It is important that you DO NOT follow what Helpful Harry posted. That WILL break other functionality in the plugin. The WPMU LDAP plugin is designed to only be run as an mu-plugin. It will not work as a regular plugin.

8. duran
    August 8th, 2008 at 15:30 | #8

Thanks Aaron, I realized that mistake after I posted here yesterday.

9. duran
    August 11th, 2008 at 19:34 | #9

I got back to playing with the plugin, and now I”m getting this error…

ERROR: Account creation from LDAP failed

I have it set to create accounts on login…

Any ideas?

Thank you!
    (and please tell me if theres a better place to get support).

10. Aaron
    August 11th, 2008 at 19:40 | #10

Check out the SF project – there is an email list setup and also the tracker.

Does the email address of the admin account match that of the user your trying to login with? WordPress requires a unique email for every user. So if you entered your email address for the admin user, and are trying to login with your account it will toss that error.

11. Jonny
    September 29th, 2008 at 12:54 | #11

I had previously tried to install this on v1.5.1 and failed. Got it working in 2.6.1 in just a few minutes. Many thanks,
    j

12. Mike
    October 21st, 2008 at 13:19 | #12

I just tried to run it with wpmu 2.6.2 and it failed.

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare wp_new_user_notification() (previously declared in [snip]/htdocs/wp-includes/pluggable.php:1008) in [snip]/htdocs/wp-content/plugins/wpmu-ldap_2.6.0/ldap/lib/wpmu_ldap_admin.functions.php on line 414

Any suggestions? Tried to find 2.6.1 somewhere, however the site only lists latest. I also tried SVN, and no change there too.

13. Aaron Axelsen
    October 21st, 2008 at 13:25 | #13

The plugin must be installed in “mu-plugins”, it will not work in the “plugins” folder

14. Mike
    October 21st, 2008 at 13:36 | #14

I tried that first, however I don’t see any plugin to be activated when the folder is under mu-plugins to be activated.

Any hint?

15. Aaron Axelsen
    October 21st, 2008 at 13:38 | #15

The mu plugins folder is loaded automatically – no need for activation.

16. Ryan
    November 5th, 2008 at 20:22 | #16

How do you set up the LDAP settings? I don’t see anything in the admin section.

17. Aaron Axelsen
    November 6th, 2008 at 13:50 | #17

Make sure the plugin is loaded in the mu-plugins folder. Then on the site admin area you will see the ldap config options.

18. Ryan
    November 6th, 2008 at 17:40 | #18

Should I be looking in the settings for each bog? I do see some ldap options, but it doesn’t seem to be working. I’ve used the wpDirAuth plugin with the same option and that seemed to work. I wanted to test this one out to compare.

19. Aaron Axelsen
    November 6th, 2008 at 17:48 | #19

No. The ldap options are set on a global scale for all blogs. You will only see it in the site-admin area.

I would highly recommend using the WPMU ldap plugin over the wpdirauth. wpdirauth was not designed directly for wpmu, so you may run into issues down the road.

The WPMU ldap was designed just for the multi user version.

20. Ryan
    November 6th, 2008 at 18:05 | #20

Hmm. I’m not seeing the options. The plugin should be compatible with 2.6.3 right? Perhaps I might need to try it again with a fresh install.

21. Aaron Axelsen
    November 6th, 2008 at 18:09 | #21

The files cannot be in their own subfolder. In mu-plugins you should see:

ldap_auth.php
    ldap (directory)

22. Ryan
    November 6th, 2008 at 18:22 | #22

Awesome, works like a charm. I didn’t know it couldn’t be in a subfolder, thank you.

23. Aaron Axelsen
    November 6th, 2008 at 18:25 | #23

That’s just how the mu-plugins folder works. the core php file to be loaded in must be directly in that mu-plugins folder and not any sub folders.

24. David
    November 18th, 2008 at 07:24 | #24

Very strange:
    I had the “White screen of death”,
    and when i tried to debug, i found out that in the file wpmu_ldap_adduser.functions.php, it couldn’t find the function “wpmuLdapSearchUser” until i added:
    “require ‘wpmu_ldap.functions.php'”.

Did i do something worng?

25. Aaron Axelsen
    November 18th, 2008 at 13:20 | #25

How did you go about obtaining and installing the plugin?

You need to download the files to the mu-plugins folder. Make sure the ldap_auth.php file is in the root of mu-plugins, and not inside another subfolder.

What version of wordpress are you running?

26. David
    November 18th, 2008 at 14:08 | #26

The files are on the right place.

I am running Hebrew wordpress-mu-2.6

27. Bill W.
    November 20th, 2008 at 16:30 | #27

We are trying to adapt the wpmu-ldap plugin’s “Add User” page to allow the addition of multiple users in one go, instead of just one user. Of course, being both a PHP and WP newbie, I am having difficulty figuring this out.

Has anyone out there attempted this? Has anyone had any success?

So far, I have been working with ‘wpmu_ldap_adduser_functions.php’, trying ‘explode’ the multiple user arrays entered into the Add User ‘username’ field (thereby creating an array of ‘user’ arrays), and then use a ‘foreach’ loop to iterate through each user array. I think this should work, and I have been trying looping different parts of the code, but have not yet had any success. A lot of blank-white pages.

28. Aaron Axelsen
    December 11th, 2008 at 13:09 | #28

Bill,

Have you had success with this? I can see where this would be a useful feature I would be willing to implement

29. December 11th, 2008 at 13:14 | #29

I too am trying to get this going, im also interested in making ldap groups work so I can create blogs for some users and not for others.

30. Bill W
    December 11th, 2008 at 15:29 | #30

Afraid I haven’t yet met with success yet. I have been pulled into another project and haven’t spent much time lately on this, but I am still interested in trying to make this work.

31. Dan Laird
    December 16th, 2008 at 15:15 | #31

Do you know of a similar plugin that will work with the single install? We like yours the most, the others do have as many options, but we have decided to do single installs so we need to revisit the LDAP issue. Thanks for any suggestions!

32. January 23rd, 2009 at 15:32 | #32

just wondering if any thought had gone into the ldap group thingy?

33. February 4th, 2009 at 20:36 | #33

Firstly… THANK YOU. Without this plugin over 700 teachers in our school district would cry.

Is this 2.6 version compatible with the new WPMU 2.7 ?

I am thinking of upgrading soon and this is the most important plugin.

Thanks,
    Chris Kenniburg

34. Aaron Axelsen
    February 10th, 2009 at 04:36 | #34

The trunk contains some minor changes – overall things will still work. except for some minor things on the add user pages.

As always, i would suggest testing on a dev install before moving your site to live! Especially since the 2.7 UI is totally different.

35. Tim
    February 16th, 2009 at 04:30 | #35

Hey all,

If you get a “headers already sent /wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 856.” I just initialized another output buffer in that file so:
    in pluggable.php:
    <?php
    ob_start();
    /**

and it seems to all work now.

Regards.

36. February 16th, 2009 at 04:54 | #36

We are testing this plugin on wpMu 2.7.1 right now. Seems to be working fine. One thing we’re still working on is securing the login form, but that’s nothing directly to do with LDAP. The GUI for LDAP is nice to have, especially after trying to configure ldaps for apache.

37. Aaron Axelsen
    February 16th, 2009 at 05:29 | #37

are you using the built in options to force wpmu to run in ssl mode?

38. February 16th, 2009 at 05:42 | #38

are you talking about the ldaps mode? Yes. But that only addresses the WebServer-to-LdapServer leg, not the UserBrowser-to-WebServer issue.

39. Mark
    February 18th, 2009 at 02:20 | #39

I receive the following errors when a new user attempts to login (WPMU 2.7):

======================

Warning: Missing argument 3 for add_new_user_to_blog() in /var/www/users/wp-includes/wpmu-functions.php on line 2066

Warning: Cannot modify header information – headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/users/wp-includes/wpmu-functions.php:2066) in /var/www/users/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 655

Warning: Cannot modify header information – headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/users/wp-includes/wpmu-functions.php:2066) in /var/www/users/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 656

Warning: Cannot modify header information – headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/users/wp-includes/wpmu-functions.php:2066) in /var/www/users/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 657

Warning: Cannot modify header information – headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/users/wp-includes/wpmu-functions.php:2066) in /var/www/users/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 856

=====================

If I refresh the screen, it then takes them to their dashboard.

40. Aaron Axelsen
    February 18th, 2009 at 02:28 | #40

This is fixed in the latest svn trunk on SF – hope to package up a release soon

41. Mark
    February 18th, 2009 at 02:48 | #41

Thank you for the quick reply. I will look at the trunk and await a release.

Thanks again

42. February 18th, 2009 at 18:26 | #42

Awesome!! Maybe I will roll out 2.7 in the very near future. Can I just download the trunk as it is now and use it?

43. Nate Mueller
    February 20th, 2009 at 00:13 | #43

I just installed WPMU 2.7 and when I go to activate the plugin I get the error below. Any suggestions?

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare wp_new_user_notification() (previously declared in /Library/WebServer/digitalmediasite/blogs/wp-includes/pluggable.php:1106) in /Library/WebServer/digitalmediasite/blogs/wp-content/plugins/wpmu-ldap_2.6/ldap/lib/wpmu_ldap_admin.functions.php on line 414

44. Aaron Axelsen
    February 22nd, 2009 at 18:11 | #44

plugin must run from mu-plugins

45. Aaron Axelsen
    February 22nd, 2009 at 18:11 | #45

the 2.7 release has just been posted

46. Mike
    March 11th, 2009 at 22:25 | #46

Is there a way to populate the email field on the successful user creation? I have tried it two ways using the update_usermeta and wp_update_user and pulling in the ldap index email for the ldapUserData. Any direction I need to go?

47. Aaron Axelsen
    March 12th, 2009 at 04:38 | #47

This does work by default – are you using a non standard ldap setup? if thats the case, its not looking for the correct attribute. I plan to add the ability to change attributes to the plugin – just a reminder – the new plugin page is http://wpmuldap.frozenpc.net

48. George
    April 7th, 2009 at 04:36 | #48

I’m finding it difficult (impossible) to create a new LDAP user as the site admin.
    Is anybody else having these problems (v2.7).
    Any hints, if not I’m going for a clean installation.
    Thanks for looking…..

George.

49. Aaron Axelsen
    April 7th, 2009 at 04:38 | #49

Make sure you have the latest plugin version installed. I have not had any issues – care to elaborate? Also – the new plugin site is http://wpmuldap.frozenpc.net

50. November 14th, 2009 at 23:06 | #50

Thank you this plugin must run from mu-plugins

1. No trackbacks yet.